09 January 2011

West Lake Part 2

Well, we had so much luck on our first trip to West Lake, Sir and I decide to return with some reinforcements.  This time, we brought with us Kakka, Lightning, The Hobo, TheFaja, Ninang, and another new angling buddy - The Hairdresser.  The Hairdresser got his nickname for obivous reasons.

Prior to this trip, Pink decided to rank some of the BASStards in order of angling proficiency.  According to Pink, Kakka wasnumber1(contrary to his name), followed by herself, then me, then Sir. Sir decided to man up for this trip and prove his fiance wrong!  We stayed at a small cottage complex on the east side of West Lake. 

On the first day, the conditions were tough, with blue skies andhigh winds.  In other words: tough.  We fished hard during the day, and despite the tough conditions, I managed a couple of rock bass on a new technique - swim jigs.  I fished white swim jigs with white and smoke paddletailshad trailers with some success.  You fish em like spinnerbaits, which made for a relatively simple learning curve.  In the evening, we found a small bay which we drifted into, fan casting.  This proved to be effective as we located and began catching numbers of largemouth bass and pike before it got dark and we headed in.

In my last post, I wrote about how I was building rods for my groomsmen.  Well, Sir Fusses' rod was nearly complete.  So, he asked me to finish his rod so that he could bring the rod on this trip to give it a whirl.  Well, on the first dayt, he didn't use it.  And how many fish did he catch?  Zero.  Karma?  For not using the rod he asked me to finish so that he could use?  Perhaps.  Whatever it was, he did nothing to change Pink's ratings.

Well, the next day, after I guilted him, he finally tried the new rod and really liked the action.  But still no fish.  So, he offered the rod for Kakka to try.  And guess what Pink's #1 angler does...
He popped Sir's rod's cherry - adding credence to Pink's standings.  However, now shamed, Sir set out to defend his honour.
He went on to nail around 10 fish on the new rod.  Sounds like karma to me.  Anyhow, he got rid of the skunk in a big way, and put some doubt into Pink's rankings.

Here are a few more pictures from that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment