07 January 2011

Guys Fishing Weekend June 2010 - WestLake

So, with the black cloud thatwas Ahmic hanging over me, I was determined to find a place that would bring us the glory of fish, and rid us of the stench of skunk.  So I connect to the internet andGoogle directs me to West Lake. 

We book at West Lake Willows and head out for redemption.  With Windsor chirping in my ear everyday leading up to weekend, I issue a challenge - longest average of 6 fish per boat.  Each boat is loaded with 3 anglers - Myself, Sir and Knot'Yoin my boat and Windsor, Emmanuel and Tight Moves in the other.

Sir and I arrive Friday afternoon, shortly after Windsor and Emmanuel, who now have a head start on us.  SO, we immediately head out after unpacking and get our lines wet.  It doesn't take long before we are into some fish - bass and pike.  In 2 hours of fishing that first afternoon, Sir and I land about 15 fish - mixed bag of bass and pike.  However, the competition has not started yet, and this catch does not count.  However, more importantly, we find the pattern which sets us up for the entire weekend - white spinnerbaits.

We park ourselves on top of a huge weedbed off of the Sandbanks, and fan cast white spinnerbaits above the weeds as we drift over them - reeling in just fast enough to tick the tops of the weeds.  This pattern ends up being an extremely effective pattern for the entire weekend.  SIr ends up discovering a secondary pattern of soft bodied swimbaits, also proving to be sucessful.  Because we are so successful, I begin to experiment, and end up catching fish on some gulp alive minnows on a shakey head.

All in all, we end up boating over 120 fish over the weekend - silencing Windsor... at least for now.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 pic from that weekend.

1 comment:

  1. the lake is dead! read old reports and u will see! the fish in their are old and slow growing, so the fish are very few and old!!!!!

    ReplyDelete