31 May 2011

Canal Toe

When we were younger, Sir and I spent many summer nights camping at Centennial Park located on Canal Lake.  Since that time, Centennial Park had been converted to a camped park, and we were forced to camp elsewhere.  Years later, I found a location where we might launch our boat, and the opportunity to relive a little bit of our youth.  So we set out at 7am Saturday, May 21 for some Canal Lake Pike. 

The days leading up to thew weekend were somewhat unstable weatherwise with rain and fluctuating temperatures.  The day of was sunny and hot (for me) at 20 degrees Celsius.  We got to the public boat launch and hit the water.
For this outting, Sir and I were joined by our wives, Pink and Musky.  Fishing started off slow, and would remain slow for the entire day.  That does not mean that we did not catch fish - we did.  And it started with Pink.
I followed up with a couple of out of season bass on lipless crankbaits burned over the weedbeds and ripped free when they got caught up.  I had started with soft plastic jerkbaits and swimbaits, but niether of these elicited any strikes for me on this day.  I foul hooked on pike, approximately 25" long, which fought like a 10 lber!  The thing took so much drag and didn't stop pullin that i thought it may have been a big carp.  Wen I got it close to the boat, we saw it was a pike that was hooked in its side.  As Sir went to net it, the pike dove downwards and both hooks bent out.  I always seem to lose fish when Sir goes to net them lol.

Sir caught a nice little pike as well.
Musky caught some panfish when her new rod didn't pan out.  She did use it, but as I had said, fishing was slow, so she switched,  But here are some pics of her rod in action.

The pictures don't do the sparkle finish justice.  The blank was painted to shimmer like a lightsaber.

Pink was also learning to use a baitcaster.
All in all, the day was great despite the slow fishing.  Being out on the water with great weather is always nice.  Catching some fish is a bonus.  Having your wives fish with you, priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment